Pre-screen Dos and Don'ts
- Fast for at least eight hours. Please refrain from consuming food the night before your appointment. Drinking of plain water is permissible.
- Postpone your routine morning medication until your blood sample is taken.
- For ladies – Pap smear, urine and stool tests should be done five days after the last day of menstruation.
If you are menstruating on the day of your appointment, please inform the nurses on arrival. You will not be able to do your urine, stool and Pap smear tests because the presence of blood in these tests would produce inaccurate results. The Pap smear test can be arranged to be done on the day of your review.
- Fasting is mandatory for patients who will be taking the ultrasound abdomen test. While taking the test, you may feel some slight discomfort and the conducting gel may feel cold and wet.
- Before undergoing a pelvic ultrasound, you will be required to drink several glasses of water. Please avoid urinating for about one hour prior to the examination time. When the bladder is full, it forms a convenient path, known as the acoustic window, for the ultrasonic waves.
- Do not wear any deodorant, perfume, powder or cream under your arms or chest area as it may interfere with the quality of the mammogram.
- If you are taking the treadmill test, bring along an additional change of clothes and appropriate footwear. Medications such as beta-blockers (e.g. propranolol or atenolol) should preferably be stopped three days before the test date.
In the first of our two-part series on health screening, we tell you what to expect when preparing and choosing your health screening packages.