7 Essential Tips for Mental Wellness
Your mental health not only controls your consciousness but also determines your physical health and the way your body functions.
So how can we strengthen our mental wellness? Here are some essential tips that can help boost your mental wellness.
1. Connect with other people
Talking and interacting with others stimulates your brain. It allows your brain to work faster and think faster. You can try:
- Taking time each day to be with your family, for example, try arranging a fixed time to eat dinner together.
- Arrange a day out with friends you have not seen for a while.
- Try switching off the TV to talk or play a game with your children, friends or family.
- Do not rely on technology or social media alone to build relationships. It is easy to get into the habit of only ever texting, messaging or emailing people
2. Be physically active
Physical exercise not only keeps you physically strong but also creates chemical changes in your brain. These chemicals can help positively change your mood and raise your self-esteem. Find activities to help you stay fit. It does not mean that you have to spend hours running or being in the gym. It is best to find activities you enjoy and make them a part of your life.
3. Get Sufficient Sleep
Lack of sleep can negatively affect your physical and mental well-being and overall quality of life. Having sufficient sleep not only provides stress relief but also makes you more alert and aware. It improves your memory too. Adequate sleep helps your brain to process and retain information long term and solidify memories.
If you have a sleep disorder due to stress or other emotional problems, alcohol or drugs is not the solution. They only provide temporary relief. Ideally, you can seek help and comfort from family or friends, or you can consider seeking professional help.
4. Learn new skills
Research shows that learning new skills can also improve self-confidence and raising self-esteem. Learning new skills such as learning to cook something new, work on a DIY project such as knitting and learning to play new games such as tennis or even computer games can stimulate brain and nerve cells, keeping your brain refreshed.
5. Give to others
Research suggests that doing acts of giving and kindness can help to create positive feelings and a sense of reward. By giving, you feel a sense of purpose and self-worth while helping you connect with other people. It could be small acts of kindness towards other people or larger ones like volunteering in your local community.
6. Pay attention to the present moment
Paying more attention to the present moment can improve your mental well-being. This includes your thoughts and feelings, your body and the world around you.
Some people call this awareness “mindfulness”. Mindfulness can help you enjoy life more and understand yourself better. It can positively change the way you feel about life and how you approach challenges.
7. Breathing exercises for stress relief
Calming breathing technique for stress, anxiety and panic takes just a few minutes, which you can do anywhere. It would be most beneficial if you do it regularly, as part of your daily routine.
- You can do it standing up, sitting in a chair that supports your back, or lying on a bed or yoga mat on the floor.
- Make yourself as comfortable as you can. If you can, loosen any clothes that restrict your breathing.
- Let your breath flow as deep down into your belly as is comfortable, without forcing it.
- Try breathing in through your nose and out through your mouth.
- Breathe in gently and regularly. Some people find it helpful to count steadily from one to five.
- Then, without pausing or holding your breath, let it flow out gently, counting from one to ten. You may not be able to reach ten at first.
- If you find this helpful, keep doing this for three to five minutes.
Having good mental well-being can help you to cope with challenges and achieve your goals. Practice our tips for better mental wellness to take care of your well-being.
If you or your loved ones are feeling overwhelmed, seeking professional advice or counselling therapy may enable you to better cope and manage your well-being.
Be the First to Know!
Like what you see? Receive more health and wellness articles from Raffles Medical Group to aid you in leading a healthy lifestyle.